Photo and Recipe By: The Tolerant Vegan
- 1 1/4 cups pastry flour (or half all-purpose and half cake flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter substitute, softened
- 3/4 cup refined sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 cup vanilla coconut milk yogurt
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vanilla soy milk
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons vegan shortening
- 1/2 cup Speculoos spread
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sea salt and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the vegan butter substitute, sugar and lemon zest on low-medium speed until fully combined.
- Add in the yogurt, milk and lemon juice.
- Mix the dry ingredients together with the wet ingredients until fully combined.
- Stir in the vinegar.
- Spoon the batter into cupcake liners until each is 2/3 full.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool while you make the frosting by placing all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mixing until fully combined.
- Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle with chocolate chips.