Coconut Cream Pie
Did you know that May 8th is National Coconut Cream Pie Day? We did because we always love finding new ways to enjoy Speculoos!
Try out this recipe courtesy of Honest Cooking!
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 40 mins
Total Time: 1 hour
This pie does beautifully chilled over night in the fridge. It sets the custard, allows it to relax, and for the flavors to develop.
- 1 cup cashews (soaked for at least 2 hours)
- 1 15 oz can of Coconut milk
- 1 cup Sugar
- Scant tsp Salt
- ¼ cup Bird's Custard Powder (You can sub cornstarch in a pinch)
- 2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Cream
- ¼ cup of Coconut oil (broken into small pieces, not melted)
- 2 cups Unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 Pack Speculoos cookies
- 2 Tablespoons melted coconut oil or margarine (to mix with the crumbled cookies)
- Preheat your oven to 375° F
- In the meantime, take your entire pack of cookies for a spin in your food processor or blender. Combine these with your melted coconut oil or margarine, and press down into a greased 9" pie plate. Pop this in your oven for 10 minutes to set it.
- Once your cashews are properly soaked, blend them with about ⅓ cup of water in a food processor or blender to form a loose puree, or cream. This will take a bit, you're looking for smoothness. If it's balling up on you, add a few more tablespoons of water.
- In a large bowl, pour your coconut milk, custard powder (or cornstarch), and whisk. If you're using the Bird's custard powder, you'll notice a delightful shade of pale orange, but just keep whisking until there are no lumps of dry powder.
- Evenly distribute the coconut oil through the rest of the custard. Add the solid coconut oil, coconut creme, vanilla, and shredded coconut, and whisk.
- Once that's nicely combined, add in your cashew cream, and resume whisking.
- Gently pour your custard into your pie crust.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- When you pull it out, it shouldn't jiggle wildly, only slightly.
- Cool on a wire rack