Speculoos Tiramisu Shooters
Makes 1 pyrex dish (roughly 20cm x 30cm) or 4 glasses
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup fine dark brown sugar
- 2 cups mascarpone
- 1 1/2 cups of strong, sweetened black coffee
- 1 1/2 cups speculoos spread
- 1 1/4 cups whipping cream, whipped
- Seeds of 1 vanilla pod, or 2 tsps vanilla essence
- 4 tbsps sugar
- 2 pinches of salt
- Cocoa powder for dusting
- Coffee beans for decorating
Directions1. Whisk the sugar with the egg yolks until the color goes lighter. Add the mascarpone and mix.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites with 2 good pinches of salt until the mixture forms good peaks. Gently fold under the mascarpone mixture.
3. Add speculoos spread and half the coffee. Mix until the coffee is all absorbed and you get a thick paste. Add more coffee as desired. The trick is to end up with a paste that's not too thick and not too thin.
4. In another bowl, whip the whipping cream together with the vanilla and 4 tbsps of sugar.
5. Start by filling your glasses with a layer of Speculoos paste, followed by the mascarpone mixture, followed by another layer of speculoos biscuit paste, followed by the whipped cream mixture. At this point I inserted a thin wooden stick on the side of the glass and gently lifted it up and down between the biscuit paste layers as I turned the glass. This gives the swirling effect you see in the images above.
6. Sift a good, thick layer of cocoa powder over the verrines and decorate with coffee beans.