Gingerbread Speculoos and Dark Chocolate Cake
Enjoy this delicious and flavorful cake with your family!
Makes 1- 8×8-inch cake
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup unsulfured molasses
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup Speculoos spread
- 3 ounces dark chocolate, melted
- Place a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease an 8×8-inch square baking pan.
- Line with parchment paper and grease the parchment paper as well.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl: whisk together flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, cardamom, baking powder, and salt.
- In a medium bowl: whisk together melted butter, sugar, eggs, and molasses.
- Whisk until smooth and well combined.
- Add the hot water and vanilla and carefully stir to incorporate.
- Add the wet ingredients all at once to the dry ingredients.
- Stir with a spatula or wooden spoon to combine.
- When no pockets of flour remain, and the batter is entirely smooth and silky, pour into the prepared pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 20 minutes before removing to a wire rack to prepare to frost.
- When cake has cooled, but is still just warm to the touch, gently spread with Speculoos.
- Be gentle, as to not tear the cake.
- The Speculoos will begin to melt against the warm cake as it is spread.
- When entire cake is covered and Speculoos is dripping down the sides of the cake, drizzle generously with the melted dark chocolate.
- You can place melted chocolate in a small ziplock bag and cut a tiny piece of the tip off, creating a makeshift pastry bag.
- Place cake in the fridge to set the Speculoos and dark chocolate for 30 minutes before serving.