You make me smile with my heart...
Chocolate Heart Speculoos Butter Cookies
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter
- 1/2 cup creamy Speculoos butter
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- additional white sugar, for rolling
- Reeses Peanut Butter Hearts
1. Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
2. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to combine the butter, Speculoos butter and sugars until smooth. Add in the egg, milk and vanilla and mix again. Stir in the dry ingredients. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for about an hour until it is slightly firm.
3. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silpat mats. Make some room in your refrigerator or freezer for one cookie sheet.
4. Shape the dough into 1 1/2-inch balls and roll in sugar. Place the sugared cookie dough balls on one baking sheet, about 1 1/2-inches apart. Bake 10 to 12 minutes, until the cookies are set and golden. Remove from the oven and immediately press one peanut butter heart into the center of each cookie. Place the cookie sheet in the refrigerator or freezer until the chocolate is set (the Reeses hearts will get melty when you press them into the cookies, but they will harden-up again once they have cooled down). Repeat with the remaining cookie dough and PB hearts.